[asterisk-dev] Asterisk 12 pjproject installation testing needed!

Matthew Jordan mjordan at digium.com
Sat Jul 13 18:47:32 CDT 2013

On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 2:17 PM, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 11:30:53PM -0500, Jeffrey Ollie wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 9:55 PM, Matthew Jordan <mjordan at digium.com>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > Because pjproject itself embeds a number of third party libraries,
> getting
> > > pjproject properly configured for a distribution/environment can be a
> bit
> > > tricky. We've taken the current findings and issues that people have
> run
> > > into and put together a page on the Asterisk wiki here:
> >
> > Sigh...  I know that Asterisk has a long history of embedding
> > third-party libraries, but for me to seriously consider packaging
> > pjproject/pjsip for Fedora everything in the third-party directory has
> > got to go.
> >
> > First off, there's MP3 related code in there.  Even though it doesn't
> > directly include any MP3 encoding/decoding code it's just not a battle
> > worth dealing with.  Another oddity is that the code only looks like
> > it works on Windows by loading a LAME .dll file.  In any case, adding
> > MP3 support to a project needs to be dealt with through a generic
> > plugin architecture (much how like Asterisk deals with codec support
> > now).
>
> [snip a number of other similar issues]
>
> Those are all issues that should be taken to pjproject's upstream. What
> should be fixed is that the configure script should allow (allow?
> default to?) using system copies for all of those libraries.
>
> Speaking of upstream, any progress with getting the code from the Gitub
> branch merged Upstream?
>

> And again: thanks for the work done on taming pjproject.

Two points here:

(1) Whether or not pjproject is packaged by distributions isn't the point
of my e-mail - that is, in many ways, a separate concern. The goal here is
to make sure that you can actually build shared objects from pjproject on a
variety of distributions, and that any "gotchyas" in the process of
building said shared objects are discovered prior to Asterisk 12 going out
the door.

(2) As far as removing external libraries from pjproject is concerned, I
agree with Tzafrir: that's a decision Teluu would have to make. If we did
that ourselves, we would be effectively forking the project permanently.
That is not a good thing - a large reason to go with a third party SIP
stack instead of writing our own is obtaining the benefit of having an
upstream provider of that functionality. I don't think we would make the
decision to fork the project lightly.

If someone would like to modify the configure script to default to system
copies of those libraries, that would be a very welcome patch.

Matt

--
Matthew Jordan
Digium, Inc. | Engineering Manager