[asterisk-dev] Asterisk 12 pjproject installation testing needed!

Paul Belanger paul.belanger at polybeacon.com
Sat Jul 13 15:27:40 CDT 2013

On 13-07-13 03:17 PM, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 11:30:53PM -0500, Jeffrey Ollie wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 9:55 PM, Matthew Jordan <mjordan at digium.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Because pjproject itself embeds a number of third party libraries, getting
>>> pjproject properly configured for a distribution/environment can be a bit
>>> tricky. We've taken the current findings and issues that people have run
>>> into and put together a page on the Asterisk wiki here:
>>
>> Sigh...  I know that Asterisk has a long history of embedding
>> third-party libraries, but for me to seriously consider packaging
>> pjproject/pjsip for Fedora everything in the third-party directory has
>> got to go.
>>
>> First off, there's MP3 related code in there.  Even though it doesn't
>> directly include any MP3 encoding/decoding code it's just not a battle
>> worth dealing with.  Another oddity is that the code only looks like
>> it works on Windows by loading a LAME .dll file.  In any case, adding
>> MP3 support to a project needs to be dealt with through a generic
>> plugin architecture (much how like Asterisk deals with codec support
>> now).
>
> [snip a number of other similar issues]
>
> Those are all issues that should be taken to pjproject's upstream. What
> should be fixed is that the configure script should allow (allow?
> default to?) using system copies for all of those libraries.
>
> Speaking of upstream, any progress with getting the code from the Gitub
> branch merged Upstream?

I second this, I keep asking in passing if any work as been done on this
front, but seem to get 'more important things to do' reply.

I'm happy to see we did remove pjproject from asterisk, but I'm equally
concerned we aren't going to get the patch set merge upstream in time
and have created an unnecessary fork.

--
Paul Belanger | PolyBeacon, Inc.
Jabber: paul.belanger at polybeacon.com | IRC: pabelanger (Freenode)