[asterisk-dev] app_mp3.c, timed_read, short frames

Matthew Jordan mjordan at digium.com
Fri Jul 12 11:25:37 CDT 2013

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 9:04 AM, Paul Albrecht <palbrecht at glccom.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Think I found the reason the mp3 application sends short frames. Here's
> the relevant code:
>
> static int timed_read(int fd, void *data, int datalen, int timeout)
> {
>         int res;
>         struct pollfd fds[1];
>         fds[0].fd = fd;
>         fds[0].events = POLLIN;
>         res = ast_poll(fds, 1, timeout);
>         if (res < 1) {
>                 ast_log(LOG_NOTICE, "Poll timed out/errored out with
> %d\n", res);
>                 return -1;
>         }
>         return read(fd, data, datalen);
>
> }

I'm not sure I would fix it there. The loop in mp3_exec is what is calling
timed_read and constructs the audio frame from the read data - it should
probably check the number of bytes read and, if it isn't enough for a full
frame, buffer the data and call read again.

So yes, "bug".

On the other hand, app_mp3 is an extended support module, so any
development effort for it comes from the Asterisk developer community. A
patch fixing the behavior would be appreciated.

Matt

--
Matthew Jordan
Digium, Inc. | Engineering Manager