[asterisk-dev] Asterisk + DAHDI failure-resistance (non)
oron.peled at xorcom.com
Sat Jul 6 07:07:41 CDT 2013
_Today's Asterisk+DAHDI state:_
* If a single channel/span breaks...
* On the next asterisk restart -- no DAHDI channels at all!
* Is it acceptable in 2013?
This could have been fixed for years.
_What happened on the DAHDI side?_
* In 2008 this problem was presented, with proposed solution.
* Few months later we had a prototype of the DAHDI side.
* Tried to revive interest in 2010.
* In 2011 Shaun Raffle started a big revamp of DAHDI in different direction.
This resulted in the pinned-spans scheme which was part of DAHDI-*2.6.0*.
* Since Nov-2011, it also included the required fixes for DAHDI-tools (see the
dahdi_cfg '-S<span>' and '-C<chan_list>' options).
* Which means DAHDI is "ready" -- each channel/span may be handled
independently of the others.
_What happened in Asterisk?_
* Dynamic channel removal (DAHDI_EVENT_REMOVED)was added some
eons ago (in the Zaptel days).
* It had a bug with D-Channels. Tzafrir uploaded a fix to review-board (726)
 some 3 years ago -- it still lingers there instead of being applied to all
supported asterisk versions.
* Dynamic channel addition code was uploaded to review-board (1598) in
Nov-2011 and keeps waiting there...
* With these patches, Asterisk+DAHDI is fully dynamic, where we can
add/remove channels and spans at run-time without affecting the PBX.
* But non of this is committed to trunk :-(
So with all the multi-year effort to solve this problem, we are still in square-one.
Releasing Asterisk 12 in this state is a major failure in my book.
Are your customers happy when a single channel failure make the whole PBX
drop dead? If not, why don't you review those patches?
Sorry for the not-so-happy tone, but...
Oron Peled Voice: +972-4-8228492
oron at actcom.co.il http://users.actcom.co.il/~oron
"A standard for copy protection is as premature
as a standard for teleportation."
--- Noted computer security expert and
Princeton University Professor
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the asterisk-dev