[asterisk-dev] 24 Jan 2013 SIP project update

Mark Michelson mmichelson at digium.com
Thu Jan 24 09:42:31 CST 2013

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I sent out an update about what's going on with
the new SIP project in Asterisk. Here's what's currently going on:

Joshua Colp and I have recently completed a milestone of being able to
run a SIP call through the new SIP service in Asterisk. You can find a
review of this work on reviewboard [1]. If you have objections to design
decisions that have been made so far or can foresee problematic areas,
now would be a great time to make it known on that review.

On the front of making PJProject packageable, David Lee recently created
a git repo [2] where the externally-located PJProject will be located
once it is no longer bundled with Asterisk. Jason Parker is working on a
branch [3] right now where he is making improvements to the PJProject
code and build system in an effort to pave the way to make it possible
to create shared libraries for the different PJProject components. This
work will be provided to Teluu, the maintainers of PJProject.

On the lower end, I recently merged threadpool support into Asterisk
[4]. While the new SIP code is not using this at the moment, it
eventually will. Other portions of Asterisk may also see benefit since
the threadpool is written to be generic, not with SIP in mind. More
exciting is Joshua Colp's recent work on a data access layer for
Asterisk, nicknamed "sorcery" [5]. With this, we will streamline data
access so that applications will not have to have special code sections
depending on how configuration is stored (e.g. there won't be separate
realtime and static configuration code). This will also help in
facilitating easy backwards-compatibility of classic chan_sip's
configuration. The sorcery work is in its final stages and should be
integrated very soon.

As far as future development is concerned, you can watch the "Project
Planning" section [6] of the project page on the wiki to see all related
upcoming work. Priority right now is being placed on improving the
calling experience with SIP at the moment. After sorcery is committed to
trunk, you can expect to see it used heavily in the SIP work. The first
place you will see it used is for endpoint location and identification.
In addition, expect to see some work going into request authentication soon.

Mark Michelson

[1] https://reviewboard.asterisk.org/r/2285/[2]
https://github.com/asterisk/pjproject
[3] http://svn.digium.com/svn/asterisk/team/qwell/pjproject-cleanup/