[asterisk-dev] Bounty Posts

Alistair Cunningham acunningham at integrics.com
Mon Jan 21 23:04:32 CST 2013

On 21/01/13 22:56, David Duffett wrote:
 > We've had a number of requests to post bounties for Asterisk
 > development work on this list.

In the interests of full disclosure, one of these requests came from me.
I feel that Asterisk-dev is the most appropriate forum for posting
bounties for a number of reasons:

1. Someone once described Asterisk-dev as "If you're discussing Asterisk
source code, this is the appropriate list." It seems to me that bug
fixes in the Asterisk source code matches this criteria, and therefore
so does discussion around such bug fixes.

2. I used to post bounties to Asterisk-dev a few years ago, and found it
the most effective way of getting bugs fixed - much more than posting
bounties on Asterisk-biz (where they get ignored, probably because those
able to fix bugs don't read Asterisk-biz) or simply submitting a ticket
(which may get results, or may not, but never quickly). I've always
found bounties to be by far the most effective way of getting bugs fixed
in any open source software, not just Asterisk. As evidence of this, I
present that fact that I am willing to continue spending my own, and my
company's, money on them.

3. Some developers may feel that bounties provide no incentive to them
personally, and that's fine. There are other developers who welcome
bounties and who are willing to work on them. In particular, working on
bounties provides a worthwhile source of income for developers living in
poor and middle income countries. It allows them to work on Asterisk
(and therefore benefit us all), and be part of the Asterisk community,
while paying their bills or continuing their education.

4. The volume of Asterisk bounties is very small - one or two a month.

I therefore propose that the definition of Asterisk-dev as the place for
discussion of the Asterisk source code include bounties for fixing bugs
in that source code.

--
Alistair Cunningham
+1 888 468 3111