[asterisk-dev] Removal of svn:externals in Asterisk branches

David M. Lee dlee at digium.com
Wed Jan 16 16:41:17 CST 2013

On Jan 16, 2013, at 11:05 AM, Jason Parker wrote:

> I'd like to get several things from the folks on this list.
>
> 1) A review of the plan.  Why might this be a bad idea?  Any unforeseen issues?

An update that replaces an svn:external with directory can lead to interesting problems.

If you don't rm -rf the menuselect directory before the update, you can really hose your working copy. If you'd like to play around with the behavior yourself:

  $ svn co http://svn.digium.com/svn/asterisk/branches/1.8
  $ cd 1.8
  $ svn sw http://svn.digium.com/svn/asterisk/team/qwell/demenuselectification

If one were to run svn update again, menuselect goes into a tree conflict state, and things get really fun.

> 2) A "review" of the branch.  Does it function as expected?  Do any of your
> scripts now fail?

Works for me.

Any automated scripts which automagically run 'svn update' on an Asterisk checkout are going to need some TLC to handle the update correctly.

> 3) Cookies.

All I have are granola bars. Is that close enough?

--
David M. Lee
Digium, Inc. | Software Developer