[asterisk-dev] Speaking opportunities at Digium Asterisk World/IT Expo - Miami Beach - 1/31 and 2/1

Russ Meyerriecks rmeyerriecks at digium.com
Wed Jan 2 17:05:18 CST 2013

On Wed, Jan 02, 2013 at 04:45:25PM -0600, David Duffett wrote:
> This presents an opportunity for you to talk about your contribution(s) to
> the Asterisk project or describe your interesting Asterisk implementations -
> identifying you as a thought-leader in your field.

David. I'm not sure if this would be the proper audience for this, but I've been collecting notes for a talk about the fundamentals of T1/E1 telephony. In my daily job I'm fielding a lot of questions that arise from fundamental mis-understanding of how this technology works. Honestly, I can't blame them, it's an old and somewhat obscure technology since most people just hook it up and forget about it. Also, standards aren't available on the internet and exist only in old dusty archives. I envision this being a technical talk covering the following points.

* E1 and T1 signal standards, what the signals look like on the wire, frequencies and speeds involved.
* Time division multiplex(tdm)
* How data is framed with extended superframe(d4,esf)
* Alternate mark inversion(ami) and why it's needed
* b8zs and hdb3 as derivatives of ami
* signalling standards and what they look like, how they are carried, what timeslot they are carried on
* common channel signalling, carrier associated signalling
* Methods for transmitting at interpreting AB and ABCD signalling bits with examples from DAHDI's source.
* How to use pseudo channels to play with this technology
* Ways to enable debugging text in DAHDI to see what's going on.

I was planning on shooting for the next Astricon, but if you think this would be a good talk for ITEXPO, I can speed up my schedule and wrap the talk up sooner.

--
Russ Meyerriecks
Digium, Inc. | Linux Kernel Developer