[asterisk-dev] [Code Review] SIP authentication support

Hans Witvliet asterisk at a-domani.nl
Mon Feb 11 14:33:44 CST 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: Joshua Colp <jcolp at digium.com>
Subject: Re: [asterisk-dev] [Code Review] SIP authentication support
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 09:37:01 -0400

Hans Witvliet wrote:

> Perhaps a long shot, but why can't asterisk use use the authentication
> methods already existing on systems?
> Something like pam_asterisk ?
> If possible, you could use anything (pwd, ldap, kerberos, pkcs11, ...)
>
> Or do i over-simplify things...

The discussion that Mark and Olle were having was referring to the
authentication between the end device (a SIP phone for example) and the
new SIP work within Asterisk. There are defined standards for doing
that, that both have to implement.

PAM is really for what you are authenticating against. IE: I want to
authenticate using LDAP for my credentials. That has nothing to do with
the actual communication with the end device. (Disclaimer: Depending on
the actual PAM module in use this can be untrue.)