[asterisk-dev] [Code Review] SIP authentication support

Hans Witvliet asterisk at a-domani.nl
Sat Feb 9 11:18:59 CST 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: Olle E Johanson <oej at edvina.net>
Cc: Olle E Johanson <oej at edvina.net>
Subject: Re: [asterisk-dev] [Code Review] SIP authentication support
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2013 16:52:34 +0100

8 feb 2013 kl. 16:01 skrev Mark Michelson <mmichelson at digium.com>:

> On 02/08/2013 12:58 AM, Olle E. Johansson wrote:
>> On the topic of authentication:

[snip]

Another issue:

An old Asterisk user, Kapejod, did some tests the other day. It took just a few minutes to brute-force a four character password with MD5.

I think we should be among the first to migrate to SHA256 auth, so please code in a way that you can select algorithm or force one.

Also think about using TLS client certs for auth, especially on trunks to other SIP servers.

/O

Perhaps a long shot, but why can't asterisk use use the authentication
methods already existing on systems?
Something like pam_asterisk ?
If possible, you could use anything (pwd, ldap, kerberos, pkcs11, ...)

Or do i over-simplify things...

hw