[asterisk-dev] balancing irqs

jg webaccounts at jgoettgens.de
Thu Dec 12 13:32:42 CST 2013

Hi!

It looks as if this is the most appropriate group for my posting.

I patched irqbalance such that it no longer depends on certain symbolic links within the sysfs
virtual file system. In order to get the node associations of the cpus I do an extra evaluation
of the nodes subdir. This patch makes irqbalance work on somewhat older CentOS machines prior to
some 6.4 kernel versions. So far I went back to CentOS 5.6.

To make a long story short, I had some communication problems with a TDM device and with the
help of the vendor we found that irqbalance did not work properly. Normally one would simply
update to the most recent OS, DAHDI and driver versions, but this can be difficult on production
machines due to necessary extended testing of all the other packages.

I am not sure how relevant the problem is. You can test this by checking the interrupt
distribution among the various processors on a multiprocessor system (e.g. with cat
/proc/interrupts). If you find that a TDM card uses only a single CPU then I would like to hear
about. However, it does not mean that the machine is in trouble.

If there is enough interest, I'll look for a way to publish this patch.

jg