[asterisk-dev] Asterisk 12 pjproject installation testing needed!

Matthew Jordan mjordan at digium.com
Sun Aug 4 21:59:32 CDT 2013

On Sun, Aug 4, 2013 at 10:09 AM, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 03:14:56PM -0500, Matthew Jordan wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 12:37 PM, Faidon Liambotis <paravoid at debian.org
> >wrote:
>
> > > Filed under asterisk/pjproject, 6 months ago, no reply at all (while at
> > > the same time #1/#2 were closed):
> > > https://github.com/asterisk/**pjproject/issues/3<
> https://github.com/asterisk/pjproject/issues/3>
> >

> > I don't think we're watching the issue tracker on github terribly
> closely.
> > The build modifications to pjproject were all tracked in Jira (see
> > https://issues.asterisk.org/jira/browse/ASTERISK-20811). Since Jira is
> > where all issues Asterisk related are filed - and people dealing with the
> > Asterisk project know to look there - it would probably be better to file
> > any future issues with the Asterisk compatible pjproject there.
> >
> > Even so, I'm not sure what actions we can take on this issue. As was
> > already said, removing libraries out of it isn't really our call to make,
> > unless we want to take complete ownership and fork the project.
>
> I have a semi-working package. Where do I file bug reports? On the
> chans/chan_pjsip component in the Jira? I would also hate to firce
> any contributor to sign *Digium*'s license agreement for uploading a
> patch to that package.

So first, thanks for testing it out Tzafrir. It's really appreciated!

I'd prefer to use Jira for issues made against the pjproject fork, until
such time as we submit the patch back to Teluu. While I know github
provides an issue tracker, trying to maintain issues and work queues in
multiple issue trackers is not much fun. Assuming they accept the changes,
I'd prefer to see any modifications or issues should be made through their
issue tracker.

That's not a hard and fast decision. There may be some exceptions we make
to this - a security vulnerability detected in pjproject by a user of
Asterisk comes to mind - but in general I'd prefer to not reproduce
problems in multiple issue trackers. It would also be cumbersome for bug
marshals to have to clean up and report issues in Teluu's bug tracker from
Asterisk issues. I have a feeling we'll be working through the mechanics of
this some more as time goes on - so far now, we'll just be flexible and see
how things go.

As far as modifications are concerned, a pull request against the github
project should be sufficient. Having an issue in Jira that you reference to
that pull request may be helpful since bug marshals typically watch Jira.
Since Digium does not hold the License to pjproject, any modifications made
to it simply have to be made under Teluu's licensing scheme. As such, I
don't see any reason to attach the patch made in the pull request to the
Jira issue.

Matt

--
Matthew Jordan