[asterisk-dev] Time to rename chan_gulp?

Malcolm C. Davenport malcolmd at digium.com
Mon Apr 29 07:20:01 CDT 2013

On Apr 29, 2013, at 8:03 AM, Walter Doekes <walter+asterisk-dev at osso.nl> wrote:

>>> While Asterisk itself has actually used the -ng suffix, in that what people are using today is actually asterisk-ng, I do not think there is specific need to rename chan_gulp.
>>>
>>> It works, it's been in use for a while now, it's fun (a gulp is better than a sip, arguably), it can be pronounced as a single word, and it's harmless.
>
> I'm with Olle here. New users are going to be looking for a SIP channel driver. Leaving it named "gulp" will mean that you *have* to use a tutorial to set things up the first time.

New users are going to have to read some kind of document, tutorial or other, to get going. The smoothest transition would be to have them simply use "sip," but that's taken. If someone's looking for SIP, how would they know to use pjsip or sipng?  Though they both include "sip," neither is descriptive enough to clue in a brand new user. The brand new user has bigger problems to worry about:
How do I install?
What's a dial plan?
Does sip.conf have anything to do with sipng.conf?

I believe it's going to cause less confusion to put more distance between the two names rather than trying to keep them close and bound by "sip."

And, I'm still a big fan on things that can be pronounced not read as characters.