[asterisk-dev] Feedback requested for rpath patch

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Wed Sep 26 21:29:44 CDT 2012

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 01:30:36PM -0500, David M. Lee wrote:
> Hello, all!
>
> If you would please take a look at ASTERSIK-20407[1], I'd like some
> input from the fine folks on asterisk-dev.
>
> (tl;dr - Asterisk fails to start if prefix isn't /usr, b/c we don't
> specify the rpath when building the asterisk binary)
>
> I have a patch which fixes this problem[2]. This patch will:
>
>  * For OS's other than OS X, add the -rpath linker option if libdir is
>    anything other than /lib or /usr/lib. This can be disabled by
>    passing --disable-rpath to ./configure.
>
>  * For OS X, we have macosx_version_min set to 10.4, which doesn't
>    support rpath. So instead, the patch adds the -dynamiclib and
>    -install_name flags for linking libasteriskssl.dylib, along with
>    cleaning up some of the other OS X specific linker flags.

The patch sets rpath on just about everything. This is wrong. If you
need to set rpath on libasteriskssl, set it on libasteriskssl. Please
don't potentially break other thing with rpath.

Q: What's wrong with rpath?
A: it works after you install things but magically fails to work if you
   move things around.

I prefer an explicit LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

> So here's where I can use some input. Please reply to the list, or
> comment on my review[3].
>
>  * I don't immediately have a way to check my patch for Solaris, BSD's
>    and whatever else someone might be interested in building Asterisk
>    on. If you're interesting in building Asterisk on not Linux, mind
>    checking out my patch and providing feedback?
>
>  * I really don't like the check against /lib and /usr/lib. Is there a
>    better way to check whether the rpath flag should be set?  Should
>    rpath always be set unless --disable-rpath is passed in?

Note that Debian and Ubuntu systems now have [/usr]/lib/<arch-triplet>,
such as /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu .

I prefer that it won't be set at all.