[asterisk-dev] Feedback requested for rpath patch

David M. Lee dlee at digium.com
Wed Sep 26 13:30:36 CDT 2012

Hello, all!

If you would please take a look at ASTERSIK-20407[1], I'd like some
input from the fine folks on asterisk-dev.

(tl;dr - Asterisk fails to start if prefix isn't /usr, b/c we don't
specify the rpath when building the asterisk binary)

I have a patch which fixes this problem[2]. This patch will:

 * For OS's other than OS X, add the -rpath linker option if libdir is
   anything other than /lib or /usr/lib. This can be disabled by
   passing --disable-rpath to ./configure.

 * For OS X, we have macosx_version_min set to 10.4, which doesn't
   support rpath. So instead, the patch adds the -dynamiclib and
   -install_name flags for linking libasteriskssl.dylib, along with
   cleaning up some of the other OS X specific linker flags.

So here's where I can use some input. Please reply to the list, or
comment on my review[3].

 * I don't immediately have a way to check my patch for Solaris, BSD's
   and whatever else someone might be interested in building Asterisk
   on. If you're interesting in building Asterisk on not Linux, mind
   checking out my patch and providing feedback?

 * I really don't like the check against /lib and /usr/lib. Is there a
   better way to check whether the rpath flag should be set?  Should
   rpath always be set unless --disable-rpath is passed in?

 * Having the rpath thing differ just because of OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
   bothers me. That version of OS X hasn't even received a security
   update since 2009. For trunk, I'd like to bump the min version to
   10.5 (Leopard) and set rpath consistently across platforms.[4] Any
   objections?

 [1]: https://issues.asterisk.org/jira/browse/ASTERISK-20407
 [2]: https://issues.asterisk.org/jira/secure/attachment/44760/ASTERISK-20407-fix-11.diff
 [3]: https://reviewboard.asterisk.org/r/2132