[asterisk-dev] AMI 'originate' permission is broken [was: Re: AST-2012-012: Asterisk Manager User Unauthorized Shell Access]

Matthew Jordan mjordan at digium.com
Tue Sep 4 10:41:21 CDT 2012

----- Original Message -----

Agreed.  Except that I don't see a way to modify the current behavior without
breaking applications that depend on the ability to specify a dialplan
application.

> So what I'd like to know is what's the use case for an "unpriviliged"
> Originate with Application/Data?

Creating channels that drop into a conference and Playback a single sound file
comes to mind.  I'm sure other folks can come up with other use cases.

In all cases, you could construct a dialplan that would provide the same
functionality; the application specifier was clearly meant as a convenience
for when you only needed a single application to execute.  The updated README
was the result of the realization that we've released three security releases
to deal with this problem, all of which have used the 'blacklist' solution to
resolve the problem.  The fact that Asterisk is modular and we can't predict
what all applications may be loaded into Asterisk means that this solution
is inherently limited.  Coupled with the fact that dialplan execution can also
be compromised (for sufficiently poorly written dialplans) means that we're
at a point where we don't want to continue to release patches for this problem
that don't conclusively solve the problem.

Of course, if someone would like to come up with a comprehensive solution that
does not break existing third party application, I'd be thrilled to support it.

--
Matthew Jordan
Digium, Inc. | Engineering Manager