[asterisk-dev] GSM Encryption

Hans Witvliet asterisk at a-domani.nl
Mon Oct 29 16:48:53 CDT 2012

On Sun, 2012-10-28 at 13:33 -0700, sab sab wrote:
> Thank you. It's sad because you may have killed a dream. But there is
> still some hope. Can anyone tell me how did they manage to pull it off
> http://www2.rohde-schwarz.com/file_1464/Top-Sec_en.pdf

How? Simply: they made their own gsm-handset.
This company is well known for making highly accurate measurement
equipment.

It probably has a price tag that is in the same range of their other
equipment.

Did you notice that they added an hardware-crypto mudule to the phone?

Two years ago, i had a meeting with sales representatives from a company
who were trying to do this in software;
3000 euro price tag for each phone, and 5000ms latency.

So, as said, you might be able to do this today, but:
- using low-bandwith voip-call over gprs
- off-the-shelf softpone that supports TLS