[asterisk-dev] GSM Encryption

James Sharp james at fivecats.org
Sun Oct 28 16:48:22 CDT 2012

On 10/28/2012 4:33 PM, sab sab wrote:
> Thank you. It's sad because you may have killed a dream. But there is
> still some hope. Can anyone tell me how did they manage to pull it off
> http://www2.rohde-schwarz.com/file_1464/Top-Sec_en.pdf

I suspect it works just like any other telephony encryption system.

You place a regular call from your crypto capable handset to a crypto
capable destination.  You speak for a bit and then "go secure".

When you kick the system into secure mode, the mic and speaker are
disconnected from the phone's audio path and the phone sets up a low
bitrate modem call between the crypto chip in the phone and the crypto
chip in the destination unit.  The mic and speaker are connected to the
crypto chip and the audio is encrypted and then sent over that low rate
modem call, at the expense of significant audio quality.