[asterisk-dev] Git

Dan Jenkins dan.jenkins at holidayextras.com
Mon Nov 19 17:02:33 CST 2012

Sounds good!

The first thought for me is the fact that Digium wouldn't have to maintain
it's own git infrastructure, but if this is something Digium wants to do
then fine.

Yes, it's going to be a massive task, to even move the smaller projects
over to git. I agree with Paul in the other thread, Github seems ideal for
digium's open source projects; however I'd have it the other way around to
what you stated above, with the core backup being git.asterisk.org and the
active repo being Github. Like other people have said, there's tonnes of
other hosted git solutions out there, Atlassian have their own that's being
merged into On Demand called BitBucket which works well with Confluence etc
etc. I only said about using github as it's really the home of open
projects with communities.

I mean, I put my private repos on bitbucket but all of my public open repos
(like nodejs modules) are on github, as that seems to be the place that
allows the best community.

It would be great to be able to embrace pull requests, it opens up the
doors to much more community involvement in my eyes, I completely
understand there's a lot of legal issues around this but seems like it
could only benefit the end products.

It's great that Digium are looking at it,

Dan

--
Dan Jenkins - Senior Web Developer
email: dan.jenkins at holidayextras.com