[asterisk-dev] Asterisk and distributions (Debian, Fedora, etc)

BJ Weschke bweschke at btwtech.com
Wed Nov 14 13:21:09 CST 2012

On 11/14/12 12:02 PM, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>   However, as
> more and more IT managers want VoIP, they don't want to spend time
> building anything from source, they want the convenience of installing
> with apt-get or yum, just like they do with Apache or Postfix or Mysql.
>
> Having some clarity about these relationships may give insights about
> the priorities for the SIP stack question.

   +1 to the point above.

   I don't typically consider any new feature put into Asterisk as
"widely available" until someone can do an apt-get or yum of said
Asterisk version on any given distribution and the feature is there.
Pretty much everyone that reads this post knows how to build from
source, but we're not the greater audience that we need for wide scale
testing, usage, and acceptance.
  There really can be some significant lead times in such cases to get
to that point, but it's not until those features reach that point do
they often get the widest amount of exposure and real use. I can
remember a few years back (before Asterisk test suites existed!) putting
in a function someone had inquired about in #asterisk-dev thinking it
might be cool to have, and then I didn't hear about it again until,
literally, well over 14 months later when I think it was Tilghman that
was fixing my original code because it never worked quite right in the
first place when it first went in.