[asterisk-dev] 13 November, 2012 New SIP stack update

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Wed Nov 14 10:28:50 CST 2012

14 nov 2012 kl. 16:33 skrev Daniel Pocock <daniel at pocock.com.au>:

> On 14/11/12 15:16, Olle E. Johansson wrote:
>

>> Unfortunately that's what I see with both PJsip, Resiprocate and Sofia users - many private "forks".
>
> I'd be interested to see examples of the private forks of resiprocate
I will see if I can get permissions to give such examples.

> There are many branches in SVN, but most of them started with the
> intention to merge back into trunk.

And what happened?

>> I have no insight into why this is the state of the SIP stack "industry". The discussion I've had with
>
> Some people are developing for Windows, mobile or other platforms.
> Their packaging needs are very different.
>
> E.g. on Windows it is common to embed libraries and link statically.
>
> On mobile, there is no dependency-based packaging system, so projects
> like Lumicall (mjsip) and CSipSimple (pjsip) just embed a (forked) SIP stack
Seems like you agree with me here.

>> I would like to see another discussion soon - how we should change the core PBX in order
>> to be able to build a proper SIP stack. If Digium and the community invest in this development,
>> I would like to see an upgrade of the core so that we can do things right. In my installations,
>> I have almost only SIP. I do believe a majority of Asterisk channels today are SIP.
>
> One other possibility: maybe drop things like TLS support and encourage
> people to use a proxy for that.  Obviously Asterisk will not know what
> was in the certs, so it won't be able to pass such details through to
> the dialplan environment, but otherwise it may be technically sound and
> easier to support.

I don't take that as a serious suggestion. Sorry. If we are going to handle SRTP, then
we do need TLS to Asterisk. We can't rely on another magical piece of software
to do TLS termination or fix other issues we have, we need to provide our users
with a reasonable level of security and functionality.

Asterisk needs to work properly in standalone mode.

I do use proxys in most of my installations and have used SER/openSER/kamailio
for a longer time than Asterisk, so I know what you are talking about :-)

/O

* Olle E. Johansson - oej at edvina.net
* Kamailio & SIP Masterclass Miami FL December 2012
* http://edvina.net/training/