[asterisk-dev] Recommendations for using a SIP stack with Asterisk

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Tue Nov 13 17:43:00 CST 2012

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 04:55:56PM -0600, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 4:37 PM, Daniel Pocock <daniel at pocock.com.au> wrote:

> >> Can you take a Debian kernel and run it on a RHEL system?  Unlikely.
> >> How about a Red Hat Enterprise package and run it on Debian?  Probably
> >> not without significant modifications.
> >
> > Sorry to knock you on this one... but you can actually boot a RHEL
> > system with a Debian kernel.  Of course there may be one or two apps you
> > have in RHEL that expect particular kernel features, but many things
> > should run if you just copy the kernel file.
>
> Actually, in many cases, the reason to use RHEL is the support for
> hardware that the Debian project refuses to allow in their kernel.
> So, sure, it might boot... and then refuse to mount the filesystem,
> because it doesn't know anything about that disk controller.
>
> > `alien' lets you install packages from RHEL on Debian.  If the
> > corresponding libraries are present, things work.  There may be things
> > that don't work if they depend on a really specific library version or a
> > hard coded file location.
>
> Precisely my point.  Faidon's examples were explicitly contrived in
> order to support his point, but modify the examples slightly, and it
> all falls down.

Faidon (answering a specific point by Russ) mentioned the
kernel/userspace ABI explicitly. Not any other ABI, which is not as
stable.

The kernel required an explicit point as the kernel is monolithic. You
can't ship a package of "linux-scsi" and update it separately.
You have to update all the kernel togethere, and reboot in the process.
But you can update libfoobar independently of any program that uses it.

Thus you tend to have just a single copy of the kernel copde (on systems
that don't use u-boot, that is. Ahem). But if you're not careful you may
get quite a few copies of libfoobar hiding inside different programs.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com