[asterisk-dev] 13 November, 2012 New SIP stack update

Mark Michelson mmichelson at digium.com
Tue Nov 13 17:27:03 CST 2012

Hi folks,

This is just a periodic update on the current planned work for the new
SIP channel driver for the next couple of weeks. I had meant to send
this out yesterday, but I didn't because I suck and am a terrible person :)

The hot topic on the mailing list at the moment is the proposed method
for Asterisk's use of a SIP stack. On that front, we've opened up
dialogs with the PJSIP and ReSIProcate developers to find out what our
role can be in their development and find out the reality of being able
to provide or use packaged versions of their SIP stacks.

Things you can expect to see on the wiki soon:

* Brent Eagles is doing an investigation into exactly what would be
required in order to write a C++ SIP channel driver.
* I will soon be starting on a page to diagram a proposed stack-agnostic
SIP architecture for the SIP channel driver.
* We're working to start creating issues in JIRA dealing with the tasks
that need to be done. These will make their way onto the main SIP
project page[1] once they are created.

I'll send an e-mail out in a couple of weeks with what was accomplished
and what will be worked on next.

Mark Michelson

[1] https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/New+SIP+channel+driver