[asterisk-dev] Recommendations for using a SIP stack with Asterisk

Benny Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Tue Nov 13 14:47:30 CST 2012

Russ Meyerriecks <rmeyerriecks at digium.com> writes:

> Most distributions fork the linux kernel, add their own patches, release their
> own kernel, then submit patches back upstream. This has led to a very healthy
> ecosystem for the kernel. I guess I just don't see why this wouldn't work
> userspace libraries as well.

Forking is great! Embedding is not.

A proper fork has the chance to either "win" and take over from the
parent, or both sides can coexist and share patches, or the fork can get
folded back into the parent project. All three are excellent outcomes.

An embedded fork cannot take over from the parent, it can only share
patches through hard work done by the fork maintainers, and it is
difficult to fold back into the parent project.

/Benny