[asterisk-dev] Recommendations for using a SIP stack with Asterisk

Faidon Liambotis paravoid at debian.org
Tue Nov 13 12:47:41 CST 2012

On 11/13/12 20:10, Russ Meyerriecks wrote:
> I don't know if any of this applies to the distribution model but as a kernel
> developer, this is almost exactly the kernel's development process.

Not at all. Linux is not a good comparison but since you've driven the
argument there:

Among all forks of the kernel, there are no differences in userspace
API/ABI. Can I take a stock kernel and run it on my Debian system? Sure.
Can I write an application on my Debian system and expect it to work
(both as a source and a binary) in a RHEL system/kernel? Sure.

Will I able to compile Asterisk against a stock pjsip? Unlikely.

> 2) Asterisk only needs the sip stack bit of of an external library, not any
> other surrounding layers.

And what's the point then? No-one is forcing you to use 100% of all API
calls of a library.

> 3) Asterisk may need to modify the sip stack in non-standard ways, in order to
> be compliant with non-standard devices. (to enhance user experience)

Is this need to support non-standard devices unique to Asterisk? I don't
think so, quite the contrary. How is "shared library" and "never
deviates from the standard" synonymous?

(I think I've covered the rest in previous mails).

Regards,
Faidon