[asterisk-dev] Recommendations for using a SIP stack with Asterisk

Matthew Jordan mjordan at digium.com
Tue Nov 13 10:40:26 CST 2012

On 11/13/2012 09:47 AM, Russell Bryant wrote:

> One of the biggest takeaways from the discussion so far is that the
> health of the SIP stack's community and how well it plays with the rest
> of the open source ecosystem is very important to people.  Ignoring all
> of that and just embedding something is unacceptable.  The path to *not*
> doing that must be taken into account when figuring out how much work it
> will be to consume a given library.  All of that is in addition to the
> technical merits of any given choice.

Let's be careful with the word 'unacceptable' :-)

There are certainly trade-offs to any decision that gets made.  Given
the number of variables involved, I can guarantee that regardless of the
final decision reached, some subset of the Asterisk community will be
unhappy.  I'd like to pretend that's not the case, but this is too
contentious of an issue for that not to happen.

So let's just say that having the SIP stack as a separate package is a
highly desirable attribute for package maintainers, and that should
receive sufficient weight when making a decision.

--
Matthew Jordan
Digium, Inc. | Engineering Manager