[asterisk-dev] New SIP channel driver project page

Faidon Liambotis paravoid at debian.org
Wed Nov 7 20:15:05 CST 2012

On 11/08/12 01:02, Saúl Ibarra Corretgé wrote:
> While I agree that it would be ideal not to bundle PJSIP and depend on
> whatever version your favorite distro provides, my experience with
> PJSIP has shown me that it's very unlikely. For SIP SIMPLE SDK
> (Blink's core) we have almost 50 patches on top of PJSIP. Many of them
> are backports, but many others are just things we need which are not
> suitable for upstream, and some others have been in PJSIP's tracker
> for 3-4 years now. What should we do then?

Fork it so that both you, Asterisk and others can benefit?
Better than putting the load on distributions.

> So we bundle it, there is no other way for us. Asterisk is a very big
> and complex project so unfortunately I guess it will run into the same
> problem as we did.

Well, I know nothing of pjsip and its upstreams but I'm guessing that
they might start being more receptive to patches if Asterisk starts
using them and pushing them fixes. If there's no prespective of that,
then this should count as a point against it as an option.

Regards,
Faidon