[asterisk-dev] New SIP channel driver project page

Joshua Colp jcolp at digium.com
Wed Nov 7 18:55:07 CST 2012

Russell Bryant wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 1:12 PM, Joshua Colp <jcolp at digium.com
> <mailto:jcolp at digium.com>> wrote:
>
>     Side note - Asterisk 11 and up *does* have pjproject in its tarball
>     for pjnath/pjlib.
>

> and this is a big step backwards IMO.
>
> If pjproject doesn't lend itself to being packaged and overcoming that
> would be a huge amount of effort, then it doesn't seem that they're
> serious about adoption in open source and should be avoided.

Pjproject as a project is really meant to be integrated within other
stuff. The original build system covers a vast assortment of platforms
(Linux, Windows, iOS, OSX, Symbian, Android, so on) and hasn't evolved
that much as time has gone on. Are they open to changes to it? Sure.

Do I think discounting it on that basis alone is warranted? In a perfect
world where we had more options I would be all for it but with so few
(3, including pjsip) I don't think that alone is a strong enough reason.
This is one of the trade-offs that I referred to earlier, unfortunately.
There is no perfect option.

Cheers,

--
Joshua Colp