[asterisk-dev] New SIP channel driver project page

Saúl Ibarra Corretgé saghul at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 17:02:25 CST 2012

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 11:49 PM, Russell Bryant
<russell at russellbryant.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 1:12 PM, Joshua Colp <jcolp at digium.com> wrote:
>>
>> Side note - Asterisk 11 and up *does* have pjproject in its tarball for
>> pjnath/pjlib.
>

> and this is a big step backwards IMO.
>
> If pjproject doesn't lend itself to being packaged and overcoming that would
> be a huge amount of effort, then it doesn't seem that they're serious about
> adoption in open source and should be avoided.

While I agree that it would be ideal not to bundle PJSIP and depend on
whatever version your favorite distro provides, my experience with
PJSIP has shown me that it's very unlikely. For SIP SIMPLE SDK
(Blink's core) we have almost 50 patches on top of PJSIP. Many of them
are backports, but many others are just things we need which are not
suitable for upstream, and some others have been in PJSIP's tracker
for 3-4 years now. What should we do then?

As an example, it's not currently possible con cancel a re-INVITE in
PJSIP and our patches to deal with it have been lying around for
years.

So we bundle it, there is no other way for us. Asterisk is a very big
and complex project so unfortunately I guess it will run into the same
problem as we did.

Regards,

--
/Saúl