[asterisk-dev] [Code Review] Adjust to allow for Digium phones' send to voicemail feature

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Thu May 17 11:25:20 CDT 2012

On 05/17/2012 10:53 AM, Simon Perreault wrote:
> On 2012-05-17 10:54, Mark Michelson wrote:
>> Contrary to the way this is likely done in other Asterisk
>> installations, sending a call to a contact's voicemail does not send
>> the call to a different extension than would be used for dialing the
>> contact. Instead, something must be available in the dialplan to
>> distinguish an incoming call that is intended for a phone vs. an
>> incoming call that is intended for voicemail.
>
> Could you please elaborate on why it's done differently? What's the
> benefit?

It was a design decision made by the team that developed the phone
firmware. Unfortunately none of them participate here so I doubt we'll
be able to glean that information out of them.

I can hypothesize one reason, though: this method puts the *entire*
burden of deciding what 'Send to Voicemail' means on the server end. The
phone only indicates its desire for that to happen, it doesn't need to
be provisioned/configured with any special dialing information.
Conceivably, this would reduce the need for synchronized
dialplan/provisioning updates.

--
Kevin P. Fleming