[asterisk-dev] Permit/deny with negation patch

Mark Murawski markm-lists at intellasoft.net
Tue Mar 20 15:09:28 CDT 2012

On 03/20/12 14:59, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 11:11 AM, Tilghman Lesher<tilghman at meg.abyt.es>  wrote:
>> https://reviewboard.asterisk.org/r/1592/
>>
>> I have a patch that has been languishing on the review tracker, even
>> though it got a "Ship It" several months ago, and someone pointed out
>> that it could plausibly be a bug fix, because permit/deny in realtime
>> is incredibly difficult to use properly, because it depends upon the
>> columns coming back from the database in a particular order.  There's
>> a plausible argument that this, therefore, could be a bug fix for
>> realtime.  Furthermore, since permit/deny controls a security aspect
>> of realtime peers, if a realtime backend (such as LDAP) was not
>> consistent in returning columns in a particular order, it could be
>> considered a possible security issue.
>>
>> So I'm asking the developer community for opinions.  Ostensibly, this
>> would otherwise only go into trunk, as a new feature.  However, if
>> it's only a bug fix, it could go into 1.8 forwards, and if it's a
>> security fix, it could go into 1.4, 1.6.2, and forward, and generate
>> the release of a security document and new releases for these branches
>> that are in security support mode.
>>
>> I don't consider this a high security issue, as nobody has yet
>> demonstrated that this is vulnerable in the wild.  It is likely that
>> only certain systems _might_ be vulnerable in very limited
>> circumstances, so the developer community (specifically those who use
>> permit/deny in realtime peers) are encouraged to voice their opinions
>> and even to try out the patch.
>>
>> So in summary, is this a security fix?  Or only a bug fix?  Or just a
>> new feature?
>
> So seeing no objection, we'll make this a security issue and patch
> 1.4, right?  Bueller?  Bueller?
>
> -Tilghman

This is a great looking feature, but I think it's hard to classify
whether it's a security issue.  People running 1.4 have most likely came
up with ways to secure their systems.  The patch doesn't fix a
vulnerability per-say, and the other thing is that just downloading the
next release won't fix screwed up setups.  Someone will have to actively
take advantage of this new syntax (ie: using a new feature).

But then again, the iax calltokens were a new feature but also was a
security update if I remember right.

For me, I use permit/deny from a database but I have my data returned
back in specific orders so I have expected results every time.

I would call it a "new security feature", which... depending on how
badly people want it, might make sense to put into 1.4.

No doubt it will sure make writing the permit/deny rules much easier
when configured from a db though.