[asterisk-dev] [Code Review] Remove chan_usbradio and app_rpt.

Sean Bright sean.bright at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 08:20:55 CST 2012

On 3/9/2012 8:48 AM, Steve Totaro wrote:
> I am not sure why it is not maintained when Jim Dixon has the code on
> the repo, supposedly something in Asterisk is broken and broke app_rpt.

There is nothing broken in Asterisk that broke app_rpt.  APIs evolve
between major releases, and module owners need to update their code
accordingly.  If that doesn't happen, modules don't compile.  The idea
that a module written for 1.2 or 1.4 would still compile and be loadable
without any modification by Asterisk 1.8 or 10 is unrealistic.

Based on your posts to -dev and -users, it appears that there is a
working solution - use Jim's fork of 1.4 and you're good to go.  If Jim
or someone else in your community got the module compiling and
functional for the supported branches, I don't see why it couldn't be
reintroduced.  As it stands, no one is stepping up to do that, so I
don't see a compelling reason to keep it around.  If the issue is
signing the contributor licensing agreement, there is nothing stopping
you or someone else in the community maintaining working versions of
app_rpt in a separate repository and distributing them separately.

Sean