[asterisk-dev] SIP Timers and "100 Trying" on a Re-INVITE. Resource leak.

Steve Davies davies147 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 11:05:51 CDT 2012

On 13 June 2012 16:32, Kevin P. Fleming <kpfleming at digium.com> wrote:
> On 06/13/2012 10:27 AM, Steve Davies wrote:
>
>> Should I raise this as a JIRA ticket (with the cleaned-up grammar)?
>

> Yes, I think you should, and the summary can be as simple as "SIP re-INVITEs
> have no transaction timeout" or similar. I've already notified the rest of
> the Asterisk development team here at Digium about it, so they'll be
> watching for the issue to be entered.
>
> As best I can tell, this is the *only* SIP request method where this problem
> can happen, because it is the only one that allows provisional responses.

I agree. It can be caused by any (and all) of the provisional
further response packet will arrive, but the only place this happens
in quite this way appears to on an INVITE.

Strictly speaking, the INVITE and the Re-INVITE suffer from the same
problem, but an initial INVITE is usually under the control of an
application such as Dial() or Queue() which has its own overriding
time-outs built in to save-the-day. The Re-INVITE is more spontaneous,
so has nothing to rescue it from leaking the resource.

  https://issues.asterisk.org/jira/browse/ASTERISK-19992

Regards,
Steve