[asterisk-dev] [asterisk-commits] oej: branch oej/darjeeling-prack-1.8 r369555 - /team/oej/darjeeling-prack-1.8/

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Thu Jul 5 13:42:35 CDT 2012

On 07/05/2012 01:01 PM, Olle E. Johansson wrote:

> Using an RFC name would be stupid, as they change. Too many people are stuck with "RFC2833".

RFC numbers don't change, but RFCs get obsoleted by new versions.
Generally, this only happens when there are substantive differences in
the protocol/mechanism/profile/etc. that they define. In the case you
cite, RFC4733 has obsoleted RFC2833, but it's also different in some
ways, and existing implementations may not be automatically RFC4733
compliant just because they were RFC2833 compliant.

If a new RFC appears that obsoletes RFC3262, it will likely also change
the mechanism, and in that case, the Asterisk code would need to be
changed to become compliant with the new RFC, and users would need to be
given configuration option(s) to control the new and old behaviors. I
don't find this 'stupid' at all, but I'm certainly open to other
suggestions if anyone has any.

--
Kevin P. Fleming