[asterisk-dev] Distributed device states behavior when device names overlap between servers

Dimitris Kazakos nemphys at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 05:05:26 CST 2012

Either I missed something important, or there is a design flaw in the
distributed device states functionality:

After struggling for a while, I managed to get 2 asterisk servers
(inter-connected using an IAX trunk) connected to an Openfire XMPP server
with the intention to share extension states between them (for blf usage).
I first tried the Custom device suggested to be used as a test in the
documentation (which is quite poor, btw) and all worked fine; the state was
properly shared between the servers.
The problem starts when the state sharing started for actual devices.
After a little digging in the Openfire database/XMPP message logs  trying
to see what was actually published, I realized that there are 2 things
published with each state change: device name and state (along with the
server eID) - good so far.
The problem is that both servers have DAHDI fxs/fxo cards and therefore
both servers have DAHDI/X devices. For those devices, the state is normally
published using XMPP pubsub, but since the device names are the same in
both servers (though the actual devices are different), when eg. device
DAHDI/5 on server 1 was in a call, the device state of DAHDI/5 on server 2
(using show hints) would change to "in-use".
This of course is a deal breaker, as there are many devices that have the
same name (custom DND, meetme, etc, actually all except sip/iax
extensions/trunks).

Am I missing something, or this issue has not been addressed yet?