[asterisk-dev] Non-universalized log messages render security tools useless in Asterisk SVN-branch-1.8-r354348 or maybe other versions as well !!!

Matthew Jordan mjordan at digium.com
Mon Feb 13 09:47:18 CST 2012

> Mathew, thanks for the input. The module res_security_log is
> registered and loaded just like you showed. The line security_log =>
> security is also inserted and uncommented in logger.conf. Yet, when
> any SIP calls come in, there are no logs generated. I think the
> assumption that res_security_log is working in Asterisk 10.x is not
> right. Or at least it may only work with AMI, not be complete,
> etc...

> Do you have any logs generated in the security_log file?

I set up a quick test by having some Polycom phones attempt to register
with no matching device defined in sip.conf.  Below is a snippet from the
resulting security log file:

[Feb 13 09:09:19] SECURITY[17362] res_security_log.c: SecurityEvent=
"InvalidAccountID",EventTV="1329145759-441311",Severity="Error",
Service="SIP",EventVersion="1",AccountID="7001",
SessionID="0x7f824c014c60",LocalAddress="IPV4/UDP/x.x.x.x/5060",
RemoteAddress="IPV4/UDP/y.y.y.y/5060"

This was done using Asterisk 10.  No major changes have been made to
the security event log framework since Asterisk 10 was released, so I
would expect this to work in any released version.  In my particular
case, this would be with Asterisk 10.2.0-rc2.

If no log file is being created, you most likely have some form of
permissions problem or other local configuration issue that is preventing
the file from being written.