[asterisk-dev] Is externalivr really ready for "real" usage?

Steve Murphy murf at parsetree.com
Fri Feb 10 00:14:05 CST 2012

I've been investigating turning an app I wrote into an externalIVR...

and hitting some major roadblocks...

For one, there is no stopstream action, for when you just want to cut off
the playing without
starting a new soundfile.... unless I guess, we start playing a silence
file... is that the "approved tactic"?

Nextly, I need to use ast_say_number, ast_say_digit_str,
ast_say_character_str, and ast_say_phonetic_str,
but this is not provided at all by app_externalivr.

I'm looking to see if such capability could be added, but... not very
easily, it appears...
The ast_say_ functions pretty much use directly ast_streamfile and
ast_waitstream directly to play the sounds
as the algorithms determine the files.... they don't merely generate a list
of files.

To do that, it appears that every say routine in every language would have
to have a "get a list of files" version.
That strikes me as impractical.

Might there be a way to turn off the play mech and use the say routines
instead for this kind of request? Is that
a possible alternative?

Am I the only guy on earth to be trying out app_externalivr? You know, the
mechanisms required to write a
full-featured external app are not trivial. You need to create a thread to
collect the events from asterisk,
and then consume those in your main line. Some signalling from the input
thread to the main thread
is required. The simple examples provided by the literature are a far cry
from what the specification says is needed.
Anybody else working on this sort of thing?

murf

--

Steve Murphy

ParseTree Corporation