[asterisk-dev] improvement of directmedia behavior

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Thu Feb 9 07:03:36 CST 2012

On 02/09/2012 04:46 AM, Pietro Bertera wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Asterisk uses same SIP method defined by canreinvite=yes/update for
> direct media path setup re-INVITE and also for renew SIP session
> timers:
>
> If you use can canreinvite=yes Asterisk uses INVITE as a re-INVITE
> method for direct media path setup and also INVITE for SIP session
> timers refresh (X-asterisk-Info:
> SIP re-invite (Session-Timers) ).
> The same with canreinvite=update.
>
> For better interoperability bold be nice if Asterisk will support (a
> new parameter ?) a configurable method for session timers refresh,
> Eg: with canreinvite=yes and sessionrefres=update uses Asterisk will
> use INVITE for direct media setup and OPTION for renewing session
> timers.

first, I'd recommend that you refer to this configuration option as
'directmedia' instead of 'canreinvite'; the old name is still supported,
but deprecated, because it's misleading :-)

I think that adding a "session_timer_refresh" option that defaults to
'invite' but can be set to 'update' would be a fine idea. It would even
be fine if the 'directmedia' setting didn't affect it at all (in other
words, if 'directmedia' is set to 'update', but 'session_timer_refresh'
is not set at all, then session timer refreshes would still use INVITE
requests). There's really no reason for them to be related at all.

I assume your reference to 'OPTION' requests is just a typo, since they
can't actually be used for timer refreshes.

--
Kevin P. Fleming