[asterisk-dev] SIP Stack - Update

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at meg.abyt.es
Sun Dec 16 19:30:11 CST 2012

On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 4:28 AM, Faidon Liambotis <paravoid at debian.org> wrote:
> On 12/11/12 03:56, Matthew Jordan wrote:
>> The second was easier to answer. While not exactly a trivial effort, it
>> is possible to modify the pjproject build system to produce shared
>> object libraries suitable for packaging. Teluu has agreed to support
>> such an effort, although the work would have to be started by the
>> Asterisk project. The initial project to create such a package is
>> outlined on the Asterisk wiki [4]. At a minimum, Digium will work to create:
>>  * A Git repository with a modified build system that produces shared
>> object libraries and install targets of the libraries needed by Asterisk.
>>  * Tarballs on downloads.asterisk.org.
>>  * A package for CentOS.
>> Ideally, the entire repository would end up being pushed up stream, but
>> this would work in the interim to pull pjproject outside of the Asterisk
>> source. The results of this effort will be available for developers who
>> are interested in using them as the basis for creating and maintaining
>> packages for other distributions.
>
> So, I had a look at Asterisk 11 and the embedded pjproject situation.
> First of all, pjproject's build system is insane: dozens of makefiles,
> customization via "user.mak", various quirks (such as ./configure being
> a wrapper to ./aconfigure!?), crosscompile strangeness and various
> random bugs e.g. it doesn't build with CC set to "cc" or anything that
> doesn't start with "gcc".

<snip>

> It has also resulted in Asterisk 11 being basically unfit for Debian :(
> We might have a way out by patching the Asterisk 11 sources to use your
> new patched pjproject tarballs, when these arrive, otherwise we'll have
> to go from 10 to 12 where hopefully the situation will be improved.

Oh, great and powerful Debian god, we humbly beg thy forgiveness.
Tell us, oh great one, what would you like us to do?  Clearly, we have
displeased thee and thou wouldst deign to impart thy wisdom upon our
humble souls, please, do so and help us, oh mighty Debian god.  Help
us to see the error of our ways and impart to us a new path that
pleases thee.