[asterisk-dev] DAHDI migration to Git

Shaun Ruffell sruffell at digium.com
Thu Dec 6 11:44:13 CST 2012

On Thu, Dec 06, 2012 at 12:02:13PM -0500, Russell Bryant wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 11:37 AM, Shaun Ruffell <sruffell at digium.com> wrote:
>
> >   - Gerrit is still in my queue to demo to see if it will solve the
> >     issue so I don't have a comment there.
>
> I've been using gerrit a lot lately and I like it quite a bit.  Some
> interesting notes:
>
> 1) It does support posting a patch series.  The UI isn't perfect for it,
> but it's there.  I expect that to be improved in gerrit in the future given
> the git-centric nature of gerrit and the importance of patch series for
> projects using git.
>
> Here is one example:
> https://review.openstack.org/#/q/project:openstack/nova+branch:master+topic:bp/nova-compute-cells,n,z
>
> If you go into a specific patch, you will see a "Dependencies" section,
> where you can see the patch(es) that come before and/or after the one
> you're looking at.

Intersting. So you can list those dependencies for each patch but
can reviewers accept / reject / comment on the entire series as a
whole or does each individual patch need to be touched/approved?

> 2) The commit message is reviewed just like the source changes in a patch.
>  Again, take a look at any patch above as an example.
>
> 3) Gerrit has some built-in CLA checking logic that can be hooked into.
> review.openstack.org uses it.  You must have a CLA to be able to push
> changes there, which is the only path for getting patches in.

I probably need to bump up installing / using Gerrit on my priority
list. One thing that I still think I'll miss is the ability to
review code offline but I have a feeling I'm the only one who really
likes to do that...

--
Shaun Ruffell
Digium, Inc. | Linux Kernel Developer