[asterisk-dev] DAHDI migration to Git

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Thu Dec 6 03:13:37 CST 2012

6 dec 2012 kl. 09:46 skrev Dan Jenkins <dan.jenkins at holidayextras.com>:

> Hi,
>
> I'm not a contributor to dahdi but I am on this mailing list, and we've already had this conversation in part about Asterisk specifically moving to git, but I really don't understand why you wouldn't utilise github or even bitbucket (which is now integrated into atlassian's on-demand/hosted service - so I think you should have access to it) rather than having to run your own git servers. By using either of these tools (or the many more out there online) you could end up getting even more interaction within the dahdi project, if you still want a core backup then make git.asterisk.org your core backup, and get bitbucket or github to clone back to git.asterisk.org using a git hook.
>
> Just my opinion, but isn't that part of the whole reason for moving to git? Yes, git can be much nicer to work with but git naturally allows more people to get involved in a project, due to these awesome tools,

Digium is a commercial company and by far the largest sponsor of Asterisk and Dahdi. By the licensing agreement, they have commercial
rights to the source code. When dealing with the commercial side of Asterisk, there are probably agreements in place that relates
to code management, something that is quite common in larger commercial software deals.

Reading the github.com terms of service, where they can shut down the service at any time, without any notice, I'm a bit concerned. They also
reserve the right to judge my content. I would have a problem with the terms in commercial projects. (I'm speculating here, since I'm not aware
of any details of Digium's dealings with 3rd parties).

In addition, there are things that we as Asterisk developers have grown depending on that needs to be in place, like the automerge system that is awesome,
but not in place in many other projects. I personally don't know if that's a feature of GIT or and addon, but most people I've asked haven't given
me any answers on how to replace that.

I think we as a project have to respect Digium's situation and follow their flow in this case. I'm grateful for the infrastructure provided by Digium,
and as a constant abuser of branching and automerging in their svn, I can't complain ;-)

While GITHUB may be great, I don't like a situation where one site, one company has all the infrastructure. Diversity is great.
The internet is a distributed model.

/O