[asterisk-dev] AST_BUILDOPT_SUM stability

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Tue Dec 4 05:29:39 CST 2012

On Sun, Dec 02, 2012 at 02:15:04PM -0600, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 2:55 AM, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com> wrote:
> > Rcently a number of Debian bugs were fild that some packages of
> > external asterisk modules (asterisk-espeak and asterisk-flite) fail to
> > load with current Asterisk package.
> >
> > http://bugs.debian.org/694805 was filed asking to make the ABI
> > requirements "<version> rather than <major> ("1.8.13.1~dfsg-2" rather
> > than "1.8").
> >
> > In a followup I noted that I'm not exactly sure if the module load
> > failures hav anything to do with ABI stability:
> >
> >   http://bugs.debian.org/694805#21
> >
> > As you can see, AST_BUILDOPT_SUM seems to change rather due to changes
> > in the module selection, and unrelated to the actual ABI. Or that's how
> > I understand it.
> >
> > What exactly is it intended to guarantee? Apart from saving the existing
> > checksum in version control and breaking the build when it changes, what
> > better ways are there to prevent the checksum from changing?
>
> One way you could fix this in Debian, since you have potentially
> better methods of assuring that ABI skew does not occur, is simply to
> set the embedded build string for the loadable modules to the empty
> string.  The loader intentionally allows such modules to load.  I
> believe this is how the Digium binary-only modules avoid this
> particular problem.

Thanks.

So what I need is something along the lines of:

  #include <asterisk/asterisk.h>

  /* Changes to nullify checksum */
  #undef AST_BUILDOPT_SUM
  #define AST_BUILDOPT_SUM ""

  /* ... */

  #nclude <asterisk/module.h>

  /* ... */

  AST_MODULE_INFO_STANDARD(ASTERISK_GPL_KEY, "The name");

Will it be OK for me to complain if this (redefining AST_BUILDOPT_SUM at
that specific point) breaks in the future??

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com