[asterisk-dev] New SIP Channel Driver Data Access Layer

Joshua Colp jcolp at digium.com
Mon Dec 3 10:04:53 CST 2012

Hi everyone!

I know it's been a bit since the new SIP channel driver has been talked
about on the -dev list but I'd like to change that with this email. You
may look at the subject and go "huh? what?" so let me explain a bit. As
many of us know there are just some fundamental aspects of a channel
driver that have to exist, outside of other decisions being made (such
as chosen SIP stack). Configuration and the data objects that entails is
one of them.

In past times there has never been a real clear boundary between the
user of the data, the data itself, and that which provides or stores the
data. Stuff has sort of leaked and blended together all over especially
when it comes to real time. The data access layer is one different
approach in the new SIP channel driver to help with this. All of the
logic (configuration file access, real time, etc) will be hidden behind
a unified API and the consumer will be none the wiser. Any details
specific to the logic will be isolated to its implementation and will
not have to be maintained outside of it. This will also allow the
implementations to easily change without having to make major
modifications to the rest of the channel driver if need be.

Before going down the road of looking at what such an API might look
like though I've put together what I think are the fundamental objects
it would provide. These do *not* represent every object that will exist
or every option. More will naturally be defined as development
progresses and additional features and functionality are implemented.

To help track this effort I have created a wiki page at
https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/SIP+Data+Access+Layer+Objects
which contains my stab at the fundamental objects.

This is by no means set in stone which is why I'm sending this email as
I'd like to bring about discussion to come to a collective agreement on
what they should be and to get some input from others.

What are YOUR thoughts?

Cheers,

--
Joshua Colp