[asterisk-dev] Asterisk 12 API improvements

Lenz Emilitri lenz.loway at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 03:21:47 CST 2012

2012/12/1 Dan Jenkins <dan.jenkins at holidayextras.com>

> *We're going to start with fixing one of the most glaring problems with
> the current APIs: add a stable identifier to channels<https://issues.asterisk.org/jira/browse/ASTERISK-20725>,
> and use that identifier consistently throughout AMI. This solves a big
> problem for current AMI+AGI based applications. - **LOVE this!*

This will be superb, but to do this it would be enough to add a new
StableChannelID field to existing events :) and it would be even better if
the user could supply it on Originate (like you do for AMI events), so you
know from the start where events come from.

> *Unfortunately, solving some of the larger problems would be very
> intrusive with the current API's, and introduce a host of breaking changes.
> Some are so fundamental, we would essentially be rewriting the interface.
> That's not acceptable; the current API's aren't going anywhere anytime
> soon. *- *Is there not scope to enhance these APIs? There was discussion
> a few weeks back on this mailing list about enhancing the AMI to support
> JSON/XML rather than key value return separated strings (After reading
> further down there is a line saying "**AMI Event Structure - AMI events
> should be generated into a key/value object pair instead of the printf-style
> string formatting currently used. This would allow Stasis to reuse the
> existing events.**" - Does this mean that the suggestion above needs to
> happen anyway?)*

I personally don't find it such a major thing to parse a set of blocks
instead of only one, like e.g when you ask for a queue status. You could
have a "LovesJson: true" line added on authentication and marshal results
as Json instead of multiple blocks. In general the AMI could do with some
brushing and cleaning, that's true.

Just my two Swiss cents,
l.

--