[asterisk-dev] AST_BUILDOPT_SUM stability

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Sun Dec 2 02:55:42 CST 2012

Rcently a number of Debian bugs were fild that some packages of
external asterisk modules (asterisk-espeak and asterisk-flite) fail to
load with current Asterisk package.

http://bugs.debian.org/694805 was filed asking to make the ABI
requirements "<version> rather than <major> ("1.8.13.1~dfsg-2" rather
than "1.8").

In a followup I noted that I'm not exactly sure if the module load
failures hav anything to do with ABI stability:

  http://bugs.debian.org/694805#21

As you can see, AST_BUILDOPT_SUM seems to change rather due to changes
in the module selection, and unrelated to the actual ABI. Or that's how
I understand it.

What exactly is it intended to guarantee? Apart from saving the existing
checksum in version control and breaking the build when it changes, what
better ways are there to prevent the checksum from changing?

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com