[asterisk-dev] Asterisk 11 configuration files

Paul Belanger paul.belanger at polybeacon.com
Thu Aug 30 09:12:31 CDT 2012

On 12-08-23 10:35 PM, Paul Belanger wrote:
> I'm slowly starting to testing Asterisk 11 and noticed something about
> our new modules config file names:
>
> chan_motif.so -> motif.conf
>
> and
>
> res_corosync.so -> res_corosync.conf
> res_xmpp.so -> xmpp.conf
>
> When chan_dahdi was rewritten we moved to chan_dahdi.conf. Should we do
> the same for chan_motif -> chan_motif.conf?
>
> Same for res_xmpp, we should move it to res_xmpp.conf.  This would line
> up with the majority of resource modules config file names.  Like we did
> for res_corosync.conf.
>
> Thoughts?

So it looks like there is some interest in doing this. But it might be
more work then we can do for Asterisk 11.  At this point, since we have
the new modules now we should at least come to an agreement on what we
want the new filename format to be.

For me, I like "module name == config file name convention" that
russellb proposed.  Others like dropping the res_ / chan_ / app_ from
the filename. Do we vote for them or just fight at the bike racks?  I'd
also like to get more feed back from asterisk users and implementers.
Perhaps a post to asterisk-users mailing list is in order.

So, I suggest we try to decided which way we want to go with, update
these new modules then try to deal with the other configuration files
for Asterisk 12.  This of course will require some sort of upgrade path
for previous versions and something we can talk more at AstriDevCon.

Please reply with which method you prefer so we can start getting a tally.

--
Paul Belanger | PolyBeacon, Inc.
Jabber: paul.belanger at polybeacon.com | IRC: pabelanger (Freenode)