[asterisk-dev] Removing res_jabber, chan_gtalk, chan_jingle?

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Thu Aug 16 09:34:28 CDT 2012

16 aug 2012 kl. 15:20 skrev Matthew Jordan:

> [...]

I really think we need to revisit the policy for naming a release LTS. If a completely new module
is supposed to enter LTS state in the first release after commit - and replace the old modules - it is
very very scary for those of us using Asterisk in production.

In my world, we are considering the upgrade to 1.8, a release that is slowly becoming stable enough to be
used in production, which means LTS for us - or PQ, Production Quality. It's time to leave 1.4 that is
a stable workhorse.

We might want to combine the idea of certified and LTS into something that is boring, but at least have
survived two development releases before being included in something that is LTS/Certified.

In addition we need a policy on how to handle experimental code. It should not be part of LTS, really.
And it should not be experimental in release after release. Fix it, keep it in external branches or remove it.

The situation we have now with five downloads on the web site is not a good solution. Confusing
your users is not a good policy. We need to clean up and base the clean up on a developer community
discussion in the open.

/O