[asterisk-dev] Google Drive Integration

José Pablo Méndez Soto auxcri at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 15:42:00 CDT 2012

Hi all,

Say we develop a module for Google Drive:
https://developers.google.com/drive/

With the possible scenarios:

*Voicemail integration in cloud mode*
Voice messages are recorded in the Asterisk server, then uploaded to the
user's folder
Users review the messages from their PC or smart phone
Users can also check them through their phone if necessary, the server will
have to download the message and stream it to the phone though

*Voicemail integration in hybrid mode*
Messages are stored locally and copied to the Drive
Users review the messages from their PC or smart phone
Users review them by ip phone directly from Asterisk

"Email attachments is pretty much the same feature" maybe you will say, but
integrating directly with GD is a pretty neat option for mobile users to
check their voicemail from the GD app. Some further integration can be
included like for example, generating a callback to the sender of a
specific vm message.

Thinking of the advantages, it may be presented as a way to de-centralize
vm message storage, reducing the requirements of a server performing vm
functionalities, plus, moving the management of those files to each
individual user. No longer a server in hybrid/cloud mode will have to take
vm messages into consideration when talking about backups. Unless of
course, the Internet connection is not regarded as a safe resource.

Thanks, I would like to hear other people opinions.

 *José Pablo Méndez
*********