[asterisk-dev] Dahdi resource limit

Shaun Ruffell sruffell at digium.com
Tue Apr 3 10:01:06 CDT 2012

On Tue, Apr 03, 2012 at 10:18:22AM +0200, Olle E. Johansson wrote:
> Running Asterisk 1.4 and Dahdi 2.5.0 we're hitting a resource limit.
>
> There's a leakage of file handles (both pseudo and timer) but that
> should not really affect us since we've configured Dahdi to use
> 4000 file handles. At around 1400 file handles used, we can't
> start a new meetme, the app complains that it can't allocate a
> file handle a gives up. This is in a running production system, so
> I have no means to lab with it. Right now we're restarting it to
> get rid of the leaked files and keep it running below 1400.
>
> Upgrading to another Asterisk is out of discussion, so no point in
> discussing that option either.
>
> There must be something in Dahdi that fails or somewhere else. We
> have file handles, since we're getting tons of new calls. It's
> just the meetme that can't open new Dahdi pseudo-file handles.
>
> I am lost how to debug this and provide a good report. Dahdi
> developers - are you aware of some sort of limit apart from the
> file handles that can lead to this issue?

2.5.0 was the first release to add a module parameter to specify the
maximum number of psuedo channels that can be opened (and lowered
limit from hard coded 1024 for all channels to 512 for only pseudo
channels). Perhaps your bumping into that?

The change went in in r9610 "dahdi: Add module parameter to limit
number of pseudo channels." [1]

[1] http://svnview.digium.com/svn/dahdi?view=revision&revision=9610

Cheers,
Shaun