[asterisk-dev] AstriCon 2011 Developer Days - Topics Requested

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Thu Sep 29 09:43:32 CDT 2011

Last year at Astridevcon Russell managed the meeting in a very good way, limiting it to discuss existing code and code that reasonably could be produced to next release.

We tried to limit the time to discuss "wonderful ideas without funding".

I can acknowledge that not all of what I then believed we could accomplish within existing funding did happen, but at least we had an idea of where the product was going and could coordinate, discuss and ventilate this work. We also discussed processes and general issues.

At previous Astridevcons we've spent almost all the time on large issues, rewrites, that seldom got funding. Stuff we discussed in Pisa years ago still haven't come out as code. All of the "open minded" discussions has not been a waste, much of it was very good input in the Asterisk SCF architecture. But we have to be careful of spending expensive time in Astridevcon meetings to discuss those issues. Code room, bar BOFs and lunch discussions are for that.

So to do a minor correction to Bryan's call for topics I would suggest:

"It's not a wishlist of stuff you want to see. It's a discussion about existing code and code that you believe you have resources to produce soon".

My 4 euro-cent.
/O